Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Leroy Jenkins' "Coincidents" at Long Island University

Leroy Jenkins was one of the first of the AACM luminaries to come to CMS in the early seventies. Before my time there, unfortunately, because I've come to understand that his contribuiton was considerable, and I'm sorry I missed him.

I'm still not over the guilt that I inflicted upon myself when, upon meeting him at a Leroy Jenkins, Myra Melford, Joseph Jarman gig in a Detroit suburb a few years back, he said, "Why didn't you interview me for your book?" (Music Universe, Music Mind).

Why, indeed? It was one of my great oversights in my haste to get the book done and out there.

I'm trying to make it up to him just a little bit here by encouraging you to go see his "multi-media opera-in-progress."

"Brooklyn, New York -- 651 ARTS presents the second installation of Coincidents: a multi-media opera-in-progress composed by Leroy Jenkins and written by Mary Griffin, at Long Island University's (LIU) Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts, February 10, 2006. This one-night-only performance fits another piece to Jenkins and Griffin's family history puzzle, meshing media, oratorio and opera as only they can. Tickets are $10. For more information, call 651 ARTS at 718-636-4181 x2229 or go to www.651arts.org. To purchase tickets call LIU's box office at 718.488.1624." (From All About Jazz.)

No comments: